Reading, writing, listening and talking are a fundamental part of all learning. In English we follow the National Curriculum and aim to provide a stimulating environment in which oral and written language can develop. Phonics is taught using the government programme ‘Letters and Sounds’ with the use of ‘Phonics Bug’ resources.
The school uses a broad and comprehensive reading scheme for guided classroom reading and home reading. We use a variety of published reading scheme books including the Phonics Bug reading books. They are organised using the Colour Book Banding system. Children are encouraged to read at school and at home for pleasure and as a means of obtaining information. Writing is a vital part of the children’s learning and they are taught to use the English language fluently and correctly and to develop clear joined handwriting.
We want the children at Butterstile Primary School to:
- Speak clearly and confidently
- Listen and respond appropriately, developing their knowledge and opinion
- Read fluently for both enjoyment and information
- Write clearly and with confidence
- Use and understand spelling rules, phonics and grammar accurately
- Be able to read their own work and make amendments and improvements